On 23 March 2011, I posted some photos of a deep rock cutting and a road overbridge in the townland of Keilnascarta, near Bantry, constructed in 1881 to carry the Cork & Bandon railway from Drimoleague to Bantry. The cuttings on both sides of the bridge were then heavily polluted with domestic and construction rubbish, tossed over the parapet for many years. Sadly, the bridge is now gone, demolished in late 2013 by Cork County Council as part of work to widen the road and remove the illegal rubbish. One advantage of the work, however, is that the cutting south of the former bridge is now very visible from road-level. Here is the map link.
A view of the part-stone, part-iron viaduct at Lispole in county Kerry, over the river Owenalondrig river. Built c. 1891 as part of the Tralee-Dingle light railway, closed in phases in the 1940s and early 1950s. Behind is Croaghskearda mountain (2,001ft). Here is the map link.
Two views of the stone-arched overbridge in the village of Coolaney in county Sligo. There was a station a little to the south, known as Leyny (still intact). Like other parts of the ‘Burma Road’, the bridge and station were built c. 1895, and abandoned c. 1975. Unusually the track remains in situ. A few miles to the east is the active Dublin-Sligo railway. Here is the map link.
Three views of an abandoned corrugated-iron level crossing house in the townland of Carrownloughan in county Sligo (south of Coolaney). Remarkably similar in terms of materials and design to other level crossing houses built throughout Ireland in the 1880s and 1890s. Here is the map link, and a sunny-day image from Google Streetview (taken in October 2009).
A view of either side of the abandoned level crossing in the townland of Lissaneagh in county Sligo (north of Tobercurry), formerly part of the Claremorris-Sligo railway. Opened 1895, closed in the mid-1970s. Here is the map link.
Two photos from the abandoned ‘Burma Road’, the 1895-built railway linking Claremorris with Sligo in the west of Ireland. Carrowmore station was one of the most isolated of the line, if not in the entire country. Here is the map link.
Situated on an incline to the north of Clonakilty town centre, the station building (1886) is still perfectly intact and is now a private residence. This was the terminus of the 1886 extension from Gaggan (Clonakilty Junction) near Bandon to the town, via Ballinascarthy. Here is the map link.
Rural Exploration of the Past
Exploring & Photographing The Lost Abandoned Mines Of Ireland
A Pictorial & Literary Review
A blog of observations and travels