Scart Bridge, near Durrus Road Station
Its embankments now missing, the stone arch Scart Bridge rises from the ground like a megalithic monument, spanning the Durrus River. It is situated around 300 yards west of Durrus Road Station in the townland of Cullomane West. When this bridge was blown up in 1921, during the Irish War of Independence, it halted all services to Bantry (and therefore to the British military installation at Bere Island). Here is the Ordnance Survey map (click on ‘Historic 25″‘) for the area.