In and around Bandon
Brick-arch bridge, about 1 1/2 miles West of Bandon, near Bernard’s Bridge. This was situated very close to Castle Bernard Halt. Here it is in the mid-1970s. Also, the Ordnance Survey map for the location. The river is the Bridewell, which joins the Bandon in the centre of the town.
Bridge abutment by the main road from Bandon to Kilbrittain. The other abutment has been removed. The map for this location.
The West face of the short tunnel under the steps leading to the R.C. church in the centre of Bandon. The central portion has been rebuilt in recent times, but the original ashlar stonework and concrete parapet remain to the side. The map for this location.
Another bridge abutment, in the centre of Bandon. The road was previously known as Shannon Street, but is now Oliver Plunkett Street. The embankment behind has been stripped away, and the entire site looks like yet another sad relic of the Celtic Tiger era. The map for this location.
The original Cork & Bandon terminus, in use from 1849 till around 1894. It was replaced by the red brick station below. The map for this location.
The 1894 Bandon ‘high’ station, bringing together the Cork & Bandon and the West Cork Railway. It use till 1961. The map for this location.
Sole remaining abutment of the Beamish Bottling Co bridge over the Bandon, built c. 1912, abandoned c. 1950. The 25″ maps predate this structure, but the general location is given here.